Friday, June 29, 2007

Fed Up With Ann Coulter

I'll be blatantly honest from the outset here...I've never liked Ann Coulter (a fact I'm sure she'll lose quite a bit of sleep over, lol). Aside from her general abrasiveness and crass remarks, I'm even more offended by her occasional attempt at whining...not unlike her article posted today on WingNutDaily. While she was on the MSNBC show Hardball, Elizabeth Edwards called in to basically ask Ann to stop her attacks on her husband and presidential candidate, John. Here was some of what Ann had to say in her WND article today...

"For the first time in recorded history, the show's host did not interrupt
a guest, but let Elizabeth Edwards ramble on and on, allowing her to browbeat me
for being mean to her husband.
Say, did any TV host ever surprise Al
Franken, Bill Maher or Arianna Huffington with a call by the wife of someone
they've made nasty remarks about? How about a call to John Edwards from the wife
of a doctor he bankrupted with his junk-science lawsuits?"

Is anyone feeling sorry for Ann in the slightest? I'll admit that the call from Elizabeth was a bit lame and I'm disappointed that the whole ordeal was then used as a fundraising push, but Ms. Coulter has absolutely no room to whine, as she has a long history of 'being mean' herself. Her comments made on Good Morning America are what precipitated the phone call, so let's take a look at what Ann really said...

"Coulter told "Good Morning America's" Chris Cuomo: "But about the same time,
Bill Maher was not joking in saying he wished Dick Cheney had been killed in a
terrorist attack. So I've learned my lesson, if I’m gonna saying anything about
John Edwards in the future, I'll just wish he had been killed in a terrorist
assassination plot."


So, because someone else made a remark...it's perfectly okay for her to make the same remark about another person? Way to accept personal responsibility, Ann! Now, back to the Hardball incident...

"EE: I'm calling you … in the south when we -- when someone does something
that displeases us, we wanna ask them politely to stop doing it. Uh - I'd like
to ask Ann Coulter -- if she wants to debate on issues, on positions -- we
certainly disagree with nearly everything she said on your show today -- um but
uh it's quite another matter for these personal attacks that the things she has
said over the years not just about John but about other candidates -- it lowers
our political dialogue precisely at the time that we need to raise it. So I want
to use the opportunity … to ask her politely stop the personal attacks.

Ann Coulter: OK, so I made a joke -- let's see six months ago -- and as
you point out they've been raising money off of it for six months since
then.

CM: This is yesterday morning, what you said about him.

AC: I didn't say anything about him actually either time.

EE: Ann, you know that's not true. And once more its been going on for
sometime."

Now, based on the quote from the GMA interview on Monday, Ann did say something about John Edwards, and it was a profoundly offensive remark. But here's what Ann had to say today about it...

"I think I may have tuned out at some point, so I can only speak to the
first 45 minutes of Elizabeth Edwards' harangue, but it mostly consisted of
utterly dishonest renditions of things I had said on my "Good Morning America"
interview this week and a column I wrote four years ago. (You can't rush
Edwards' "rapid response team"!) She claimed I had launched unprovoked attacks
on the Edwards' dead son and called for a terrorist attack on her husband.

These are bald-faced lies, and the mainstream media know they are lies.
Yet they were repeated ad nauseam yesterday by the Associated Press, the AOL
pop-up window, CNN, NBC and – stunningly – the host of the lowest-rated cable
show himself, who personally told me he knew the truth.

So for those of you who haven't read any of my five best-selling books:
Liberals are driven by Satan and lie constantly."

Ummm...who's lying here? It seems Ann did make the terrorist-related comment about John Edwards, and it's on the record with ABC and the rest of the internet-connected world now. There's no getting out of it. And while she tried to point out that the Edwards campaign was using the event as a fundraising tactic, she still felt it necessary to pimp her 'five best-selling books?' I find that absolutely unbelivable.

Ann continues in her WND article, pointing out problems with John Edwards and even asserting that John Kerry was less than enthused with Edwards as a person. If she can back it all up, that's fine...I have no problem with someone expressing an opinion about someone else if it's based upon actual facts. The terrorist comment, though, was over the line in my opinion. It's the very last paragraph of her article that bothers me even more, though...

"I'm a little tired of losers trying to raise campaign cash or TV ratings
off of my coattails, particularly when they use their afflictions or bereavement
schedules to try to silence the opposition. From now on, I'm attacking only
serious presidential candidates, like Dennis Kucinich."

I have only two words for you, Ann...poor baby.

**Here are a few of Ann's other quips that make me wonder why she has the audacity to whine about being picked on...

"I have difficulty ginning up much interest in this story inasmuch as I
think the government should be spying on all Arabs, engaging in torture as a
televised spectator sport, dropping daisy cutters wantonly throughout the Middle
East and sending liberals to Guantanamo." - December
21, 2005


"Six imams removed from a US Airways flight from Minneapolis to Phoenix are
calling on Muslims to boycott the airline. If only we could get Muslims to
boycott all airlines, we could dispense with airport security altogether." - Anncoulter.com,
November 22, 2006


"(Liberals) are always accusing us of repressing their speech. I say let's
do it. Let's repress them. ... Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the First
Amendment," Coulter said during an Oct. 21, 2005, speech
at the University of Florida.


"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to
Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler
and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians.
That's war. And this is war," Coulter wrote in a column
published by the National Review
Online on Sept. 13, 2001.

"We need somebody to put rat poison in Justice Stevens' creme brulee," Coulter
said
in a Jan. 27 appearance at Philander
Smith College
in Little
Rock
, Ark., regarding Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens. She later
explained she was joking about the justice, whose votes have upheld Roe v. Wade,
the landmark decision legalizing abortion.

**And my favorite of all...

"You want to be careful not to become just a blowhard," she
said in The Washington Post
on October 16, 1998.

She should have taken her own advice.

No comments: