Monday, June 25, 2007

Dear those who chastise gay existences:

**Note: This is a repost of an excellently written letter by Jeremy Hooper of Good As You.

When this writer was younger, a very important person in his life made more than a few rules and judgments that were, even looking back through adult eyes, truly unjust. Never one to hold my tongue when I feel I've been wronged or misjudged, I always challenged these unfair regulations with passionate pleas and reasoned scrutiny. More often than not, my questioning the inappropriateness of said rules would lead to one claim: That I was "defensive."
In actuality, I would've had no reason to dispute the arguments brought forth, had the offensive not been so offensive. But in order for my sparring partner to forge a claim for the upper hand, the "defensive" line was dealt out freely. And you know what? It's really quite genius (if spineless). After all, if one protests such a claim, they are only said to be defensive about being defensive. It's basically a slightly more intellectual way of putting your fingers in your ears and saying, "La,la,la,la,la," as the intent of both is to shut up the other side without giving even a limited consideration that maybe, just maybe, they have some interesting and credible points to make.

My point: It is beyond weak-minded to bring forth a point of contention or debate with someone, and then turn around and call them sensitive or defensive when they have the "audacity" to challenge your claims. If you so something like condemn my life and love, I am going to call your words and actions into question. Unapologetically! Do not try and embolden your own stances by claiming that by eliciting a response, you have somehow "touched a nerve." That is a feeble tactic, which is generally used by the sorts of people who can dish it, but can't take it in return.

Cheers,

-Jeremy
Jeremy Hooper Good As You
www.goodasyou.org

I just couldn't have said it any better!

No comments: