Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Westboro Update

Due to some copyright infringement issues, YouTube has yanked the "God Hates the World," music video I referenced yesterday. I hate the idea of giving their website any extra hits, but this video is worth watching once...just so you get an idea of who these idiots really are. You can Google Westboro Baptist Church and look for the link to the video on their page...just try not to vomit when you read the drivel you'll find.

As for an interesting side note, YouTube has been flooded with uploaded video responses to the Westboro 'musical.' I only looked at a few, but I found it interesting how much of a response the video had gotten. Unfortunately, I think that's exactly what these lunatics want...publicity, and as many 15 minute blocks of fame they can get their hands on. Thanks to people like Mike Gallagher, they're getting exactly what they want. In lieu of picketing the Virginia Tech funerals, the church accepted an offer from the radio host to appear on his show. A similar offer was made by Gallagher to prevent the church from picketing the funerals of the Amish children killed last fall.

I find myself a little torn on this issue. While they're pickets are despicable, degrading and bring only more anguish to the families who have already lost loved ones, the church does have the right to show up and make whatever statement they want. Protecting everyone's right to free speech is something that is very near and dear to my heart...even if what someone is saying makes my blood boil. In this particular case, though, I think the church is more interested in shock-jock type headlines and publicity than actually making a statement. Mr. Gallagher seems to be playing right into that line of thought by offering the church a huge public forum from which to opine, while racking up huge ratings for himself.

No comments: